Saturday, July 7, 2012

Show us Your Glory

let me first say, as if i need to, that i am no old testament scholar.  in fact, it intimidates me.  unlike many others i keep company with (eh, hem- Ryan Poehl) who connect the dots like a paint by numbers picture.

forgive me as i tangent- i have come to appreciate the twinks’ bibles in a fresh way…especially this one. it is visually appealing and beautifully communicates the redemptive nature of Old Testament history culminating in the person and work of Jesus.

all to say that i have been meditating on the story of Moses and the glory of God in Exodus 33. wandering in the wilderness yet leaning on His promises.

Moses knew he was deeply in need of God’s presence and grace. and God, full of mercy, responded, “My presence will go with you and I will give you rest."

His Presence is restful.  

Moses reaches further…  “Now show me Your glory.”

oh, how these words resound wildly in my heart, in the middle of this wait….

“Show us Your glory, Lord!”

and i am reminded of my smallness… that He is who He says He is and that to know Him, to really encounter Him, is transforming.

Moses was indeed transformed.

And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.”

Then the Lord said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by.”

His goodness has gone before countless of people this week…people seeking His presence, asking Him for mercy on behalf of two tiny loves, Ella Kate and Bennett, created in His image and precious in His sight.

in response, God is pouring out compassion.

and i am changed by His glory as it passes us by…

because even in the wilderness, He is glorious. 

“When we try to focus our thought upon One who is pure uncreated being we may see nothing at all, for He dwelleth in light that no man can approach unto. Only by faith and love are we able to glimpse Him as He passes by our shelter in the cleft of the rock.” AW Tozer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails